What the Shed Looks At

Monday, April 26, 2010

Age part 1

We have to talk about age. and I don't have the time to get into my long term post with both paramedic school and US census job taking up 18 hours of my day. But this weekend I will post in length 3 parts to art of age, everything from getting old to our own minds outlook on such. My Grandmother turned 97 today, and I could not fathom a life where every day could be your last, and in such a case what do you do? Just live your life? Reach out to family, get your status in order? Or my other grandmother who is 74 talking about replacing her kitchen, at what point do we not give a damn about the trivial parts of life? And again, when do we turn from counting how old we are...to how many years we have left? My own father stated when you turn 50 the change takes place, but that was only because in a football game, he knew exactly where I was running and knew he could stop me, but for some reason that never happened before, his body couldn't reach me. It was new to him, and it was new to his mind, which was even more profound to himself. I am only turning 30 this October but I can say that I've noticed that jumping from high distances I can't land as gracefully as I once did. Not a lot to bi*ch about given how old my father or grandparents are, but it is very interesting, I would suggest everyone on the blog, before I post in very much 3 part depth about age and life, to just picture yourself at 50 with your own child, knowing that you probably only have 20 or so Christmas holidays left, instead of saying your 49 years old. You start to cling to what life you have left, and it would make sense that 70 percent of men that go through midlife crisis go through such between the ages of 50-54 as such study backed by the university of Oxford in England will tell you of 2007. Try to picture yourself knowing as young as all of us on this blog are, of not counting your age, but counting how many Christmas's you have left...or worse, being 74, and in good health, knowing you may have 10 or 15 years left..at that point do you stop giving a damn about a clean home.... obviously family holidays or achievements mean alot, but in your own life, would you give a damn about a slightly unclean bathroom or not doing the dishes every week as we do now...or the unthinkable.... being 97...knowing every day could be your last, and actually hoping that you don't reach another birthday because of pain, or not getting around, ego, or such else. We don't think about that much at our age, and our children very well could live the age to be 12o years old average before they go, but one thing remains the same, when you turn 60, you will still act, feel, and look like you are 60. Im 30 as of october, and I can say one thing at least, the last 10 years from going 19 to 29 have gone very fast, and every year that goes by is faster than the last, and after talking to random strangers, family, family friends, an unbelievable 98 percent of 40 people I have talked to, over the age of 48 have told me that every year they live, is slower than the next, every year is faster than the last, it truely is in our mind, because we are not going the speed of light, we are not moving faster than we would the year before, so it deals not with the relativity of Einstein's work or such, but the fact that we are the only animals other than perhaps elephants or dolphins that know we will die, and every year closer to the end is faster than that last. This will be a 3 part blog mainly on my own findings and experiences from my own family ,but my father hit me most of all when he said it's always when you turn 50 that you start to count backwards, or think of falling down the mountain not climbing up it. We will all die, and we will all cease to exist, it will be very much like before we were born. And I find it such an interesting topic to talk about because unlike some things, this will be something hopefully unless an accident see's fit, that we will all suffer from.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like to get too negative about my future. I think your outlook on life and the future has a lot to do with how long you ultimately live.

    ReplyDelete

Followers